Commuters and goods carriers in the passenger-dense Fort Kochi-Vypeen corridor are having a harrowing time due to the frequent withdrawal from service of the two roll-on roll-off (ro-ro) ferries operating on the stretch.
Johny Vypeen, convener of the Vypeen Janakeeya Kootayma, an NGO, narrated how many hundreds of passengers remained stranded at ro-ro jetties on either side when both the ro-ro ferries did not operate, during evening peak hours on Saturday (May 23). “One of the vessels had already been withdrawn from service, with the result that the other one was operating packed with passengers and vehicles. The second vessel too was pulled out of service, reportedly following technical snag. In this situation, it is high time the Kochi Corporation that owns the ferries directed the Cochin Shipyard to speed up construction of the third ro-ro ferry that should have been introduced on the stretch at least a decade ago, considering the whopping demand from passengers,” he said.
At present, the Kerala Shipping and Inland Navigation Corporation (KSINC) operates the pair of ro-ro ferries, while there is demand to form a special purpose vehicle to take over their operations.
A native of Mundamveli near Fort Kochi, Jude Thomas is among the regular commuters who are affected when the ferries fail to operate. “There have been occasions when I had to take the convoluted road route from Fort Kochi to Vypeen and back, even when a sole ro-ro ferry operated since it would be overcrowded. Less said the better when both the ferries are withdrawn from service. In order to prevent this, the Kochi Corporation and the KSINC must ensure prompt maintenance of the vessels and also stock adequate quantity of spare parts,” he said.
Aimed at ushering in unhindered operation of the vessels, the Vypeen-Fort Kochi Passengers’ Association submitted a memorandum a week ago to Mayor V.K. Minimol with a slew of recommendations. “Faced with the delay in inducting the third ro-ro ferry, the Kochi Corporation must impose curbs on transporting goods carriers on the stretch during peak hours. Steps must also be taken to fast-track the induction of the third vessel,” said Francis Chammani, its president.
The Mayor said that one of the two ro-ro vessels would shortly be withdrawn from service for drydocking. “This will be done once spare parts arrive.”
The association further demanded steps to reconstruct the ‘unscientific’ ro-ro jetty at Vypeen, so that two vessels — including Fort Queen (which is not in operation) can berth side by side. “These measures are crucial to enable people to use the 1-km stretch through the backwaters, rather than travel over 15 km through congested roads,” Mr. Chammani said.














