In addition to the two plants currently in operation in Visakhapatnam and Guntur, Andhra Pradesh will soon get six more waste-to-energy plants in two years, says Minister for Municipal Administration and Urban Development P. Narayana.
Launching the ‘Operation Clean Sweep’ on Sambamurthy Road in Vijayawada on Saturday, Mr. Narayana said the six plants were currently under construction. Tenders had been called to ensure regular waste processing in the remaining municipalities that did not have such plants, he added.
The Minister said that out of nearly 153 lakh tonnes of legacy waste left behind by the previous regime, the NDA government cleared around 85 lakh tonnes by October 2, 2025. “The remaining will be cleared soon,” Mr. Narayana said.
Giving details about the ‘Operation Clean Sweep’, a part of Swachh Andhra initiative, Mr. Narayana said the four-week programme was being organised across the State to raise awareness among the public about cleanliness and to transform the State into a clean and dump yard-free Andhra Pradesh with public participation.
Schedule
As part of the programme, the Minister said roads and public places would be cleaned in the first week and canals in the second week. Awareness campaigns about importance of waste segregation at home would be taken up during the third week, while public toilets would be cleaned in the fourth week. Innovative measures were being planned to prevent open urination, he said.
Later, Swachh Andhra Corporation Chairman K. Pattabhiram said emphasis was on making A.P. a model in cleanliness with public participation.
MAUD Principal Secretary S. Suresh Kumar, NTR District Collector G. Lakshmisha, Vijayawada Municipal Corporation Commissioner Dhyanachandra H.M., Swachh Andhra Corporation Managing Director B. Anil Kumar Reddy, MLA Bonda Umamaheswara Rao and Operation Clean Sweep brand ambassador G. Samaram spoke on the occasion.

























