Responding to PMK leader Anbumani Ramdoss’ claim that only 150 Tasmac outlets of the 717, which were ordered to be closed by Chief Minister C. Joseph Vijay, had actually been shut, Minister for Prohibition and Excise K. Vignesh said on Saturday that 436 Tasmac outlets had been closed as of Saturday (May 23, 2026).
He held a review meeting in Chennai on the closure of Tasmac outlets within 500 metres of places of worship, educational institutions, and bus stands. According to an official release, 436 Tasmac outlets and bars attached to them had been closed so far. The Minister also instructed officials to take swift action to close the remaining outlets.
To ensure the welfare of employees of the outlets that were closed, Mr. Vignesh instructed officials to redeploy them to nearby Tasmac outlets, the release said. Further, the Minister instructed officials to ensure that all Tasmac outlets and the attached bars were closed by 10 p.m. and to take appropriate action against those selling overpriced liquor.
Anbumani’s claim
Earlier in the day, Dr. Anbumani, in a statement, claimed that only 150 Tasmac shops of the 717 ordered for closure had been shut and urged officials to immediately implement the Government Order (G.O.).
He alleged that Tasmac officials were acting against the spirit of the G.O. by seeking further verification on whether outlets fell within the prohibited 500-m radius. He added that the shops had already been identified after due verification and urged officials not to delay the implementation.





















