











New Zealand intends to spend about NZ$1.6 billion (US$936 million) on drones, ship maintenance and naval upgrades to bolster the island nation’s maritime security at a time of increasing concern about supply routes.
Defence Minister Chris Penk said on Saturday that the government would invest in two types of drones: one for the southwest Pacific to provide long-duration intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, and the other a polar-capable vehicle that could operate from naval vessels in the Southern Ocean.
“New Zealand’s prosperity and security depend on the sea,” Penk said in a statement.
Recent events have served as a reminder of how quickly disruptions to international shipping routes can affect economies and supply chains
“Recent events have served as a reminder of how quickly disruptions to international shipping routes can affect economies and supply chains across the globe. The oceans are not a barrier to danger, but a vital national interest that must be actively secured.”
New Zealand will hand down its annual budget next week.
The government plans to lift defence spending to about two per cent of gross domestic product from around one per cent at present in response to rising geopolitical tensions.
Penk, who served in both the New Zealand and Australian navies, said earlier this month that the government was open to expanding its frigate fleet from the current two vessels.
此内容由惯性聚合(RSS阅读器)自动聚合整理,仅供阅读参考。 原文来自 — 版权归原作者所有。