

























Hong Kong exceeded expectations as a SailGP venue and the government’s decision to award next year’s race ‘M’ Mark status merely highlighted the “very positive” reception the sport has received in the city, its co-founder said on Thursday.
A day after revealing that Victoria Harbour would make its debut as the stage for the first race of the 2027 season, Russell Coutts told the South China Morning Post that bringing the sport to Hong Kong had been on his mind for some time, but in the end it all “came together pretty fast”.
Coutts met Secretary for Culture, Sports and Tourism Rosanna Law Shuk-pui for the first time in October last year, but the city’s “energy and global influence” have always been a draw for the Olympic gold medallist and five-time America’s Cup winner.
The pair held another meeting on Wednesday, while Coutts and other SailGP officials have spent the past two days with high-profile members of the city’s business community discussing the opportunities that exist within a sport that already counts the likes of Rolex, Emirates and Red Bull among its backers.
“We expected it [the reception] to be positive, I would describe it as very positive,” Coutts said. “I think we’re thrilled to get ‘M’ Mark status. You need that sort of buy-in and partnership from the get-go, because that does give people confidence.”

The funding framework provides up to HK$15 million in financial support and promotional backing for events, and is generally given to major international occasions in the city.
此内容由惯性聚合(RSS阅读器)自动聚合整理,仅供阅读参考。 原文来自 — 版权归原作者所有。